Monday, December 26, 2016
2016 Over….2017 Over the Top?
Last December I made my predictions and as usual, some were pretty good and some were pretty bad. So how did we do?
The 2016 Predictions:
1. Hillary Clinton wins the election. (I’m not sure any Republican could win a national election these days.)
Enough has been said about this. I didn’t see a Republican winning, much less Donald Trump. And, let’s not forget that Hillary did win the popular vote. But, Trump won where the Constitution says it matters. I lean to the right on most issues, so I’m glad Clinton did not win and I’m glad that the Republicans control the House and the Senate. My prediction on Trump follows below in the 2017 Predictions.
2. The U.S. economy muddles along. The second half of the year is better than the first half.
Pretty accurate with this prediction. I’d give it an A
3. Oil prices stay below $50 barrel.
Just missed it. Oil prices have creeped up over the $50 mark.
4. The Arizona Cardinals beat the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong
5. The Chicago Cubs win the World Series over the Houston Astros.
Cubs Win…finally and I called it. Got the opposing team wrong, but I’m still giving it an A.
6. Jordan Spieth does not win a major this year.
7. “Spotlight” wins the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture.
8. The Supreme Court will rule against the University of Texas’ affirmative action admissions policy (Fisher v. University of Texas)
9. Terrorists attacks against Western targets will escalate in 2016.
I wish I’d been wrong on this one.
10. Federal Debt will remain at levels above 100% of GDP.
Of course it did.
And now for those 2017 predictions:
1. This one is easy…Alabama wins the National Championship
2. E-commerce retail sales will exceed $450 Billion
3. Oil prices go up a bit but remain under $60
4. The Cleveland Indians beat the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series.
5. GDP growth at 3%
6. Moonlight wins Academy Award for Best Movie
7. New England beats Dallas in the Super Bowl.
8. Going out on a limb here, but the next Supreme Court Justice will not be a white guy.
9. Significant M&A activity in the final mile delivery space
10. Trump gets a lot done in his first year and drives the mainstream media crazy.
On the Chinese calendar, 2017 is the year of the Rooster, more specifically the Red Rooster, also known as the Fire Rooster. Yep, 2017 is going to be interesting.
Posted by Neal Click at 6:12 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment